We help foundation leaders maximize impact through grants and impact investments. Using data and evidence alongside community engagement, Social Finance brings a disciplined impact focus to innovative funding and financing techniques.
Social Finance works with grantmakers to understand philanthropic objectives and develop innovative funding and financing solutions for high-impact projects. Drawing on deep expertise in data use and evidence interpretation, innovative finance, community engagement, and disciplined implementation, Social Finance bridges the gap between strategic vision and success on the ground. Social Finance can act as an independent, objective voice in multi-party coalitions, as well as an expert advisor on specific strategies or projects. We help by:
- Developing innovative funding and financing mechanisms focused on measurable impact
- Creating simple, insightful measurement strategies
- Identifying growth-ready service providers and partnership strategies
- Supporting grantees as they build organizational capacity for outcomes-based contracting
- Guiding impact investing or mission-related investment offices in assessing impact
- Creating sound legal structures that place measurable impact in a contractual framework
- Managing long-term grants and impact investments via multi-party governance structures
- Providing ongoing continuous improvement support to grantees and cross-sector partnerships
Our Active Performance Management process provides ongoing governance support and data analysis to improve outcomes over the course of an initiative. This work focuses on metric development, data collection and analysis, performance evaluation, and program model adaptation to measurably improve lives.
“Silicon Valley Community Foundation believes we have the responsibility to help guide our donors in maximizing their philanthropic dollars not only through traditional grantmaking but also through place-based and impact-first investments. Partnering with Social Finance has allowed us to expand the tools we offer our donors to help them amplify their impact, achieve their philanthropic goals, and contribute to equitable recovery efforts.”— Nicole Taylor, President and CEO, Silicon Valley Community Foundation
Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
Explore capital aggregation strategies to support the objectives of the Postsecondary Success team.
Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
Assess how PFS financing could improve maternal and child health in Newark, New Jersey.
Blue Shield of California Foundation
Develop and deliver workshops, training materials, communications tools, and diagnostics for California public-sector partners to better use the tools of outcomes-based funding to drive greater investment in prevention.
Identify effective strategies for developing workforce partnerships that lead to long-term success for community college students, explore opportunities for sustainable and performance-based funding models for these partnerships, and highlight best practices for rural communities.
- “Making Entry-Level Talent Stick: Is There a Market for Lowering Turnover in Small and Mid-Size Businesses?” Social Finance
- “Improving Workforce Outcomes for Rural Community College Students,” Social Finance
- “To Support an Equitable Recovery, Donor-Advised Funds Should Look Beyond Grantmaking,” Inside Philanthropy
- See more publications >>
Social Investment and Field Building
We also work with philanthropies to support outcomes-based social investments and develop knowledge for the field. Learn more >>