First-time, Medicaid-eligible mothers will receive care
Social Finance is partnering with New Castle County, Delaware (NCC) and the nonprofit Children & Families First (CFF) to expand access to high-quality prenatal and postnatal health care to 120 first-time, Medicaid-eligible mothers living in the county.
CFF will provide services, beginning in Fall 2022 and concluding in Winter 2026, using the evidence-based Nurse-Family Partnership model, which pairs mothers with specialized registered nurses who offer home-based care to support healthy pregnancies and improve childhood health.
Longwood Foundation, a philanthropy based in Wilmington, Delaware, has granted $1.8 million to CFF to expand services in Fall 2022 and deliver on a set of specific outcome metrics geared toward mother and child wellness. Longwood will grant an additional $1.2 million in early 2024 should CFF meet or surpass these metrics.
NCC has committed to supporting the expansion of CFF by reimbursing Longwood up to $3 million, allocated from American Rescue Plan Act funds, based on outcomes achieved through the close of the initiative in 2026. Longwood will reinvest a portion of these reimbursements in CFF, ultimately enabling the nonprofit to serve more New Castle County families, even beyond the lifespan of this initial project.
How It Works
Outcomes-based contracting brings nonprofit, philanthropy and government together to allocate public funds to achieve long-term results. Thanks to Social Finance, we are using this model to help first-time mothers and children and build a healthier community.
County Executive, New Castle County, Delaware
Working with Social Finance has been a pleasure. Their ability to manage a complex project with multiple partners is second to none. They’ve helped us move our project from concept to implementation seamlessly and strategically.
Chief Executive Officer, Children & Families First
- Meyer Announces Launch of New Outcomes-Based Initiative to Support First-Time Mothers, New Castle County
- Video: New Castle County Executive Matt Meyer Announces Pay for Success Project, New Castle County
- ‘We’re In This Together’: Delaware Expands Initiative Pairing Nurses With New Moms, WHYY
- Innovative Funding Model to Help NCC Mothers, Delaware Business Times
- New Castle County Receives Achievement Awards from National Association of Counties, Bay to Bay News
Partners and Supporters
- New Castle County, Delaware is leading the project and committing to make up to $3 million in outcomes payments.
- Children & Families First is providing services to first-time, Medicaid-eligible mothers.
- Longwood Foundation is granting $1.8 million to CFF to expand services and committing to reinvest a portion of the repayments from NCC into CFF.
- Social Finance is managing the project and evaluating the outcomes.