Social Finance is partnering with New Castle County, Delaware (NCC) and the nonprofit Children and Families First (CFF) to expand access to high-quality prenatal and postnatal health care to 120 first-time, Medicaid-eligible mothers living in the county.
CFF will provide services, beginning in Fall 2022 and concluding in Winter 2026, using the evidence-based Nurse Family Partnership model, which pairs mothers with specialized registered nurses who offer home-based care to support healthy pregnancies and improve childhood health.
The Longwood Foundation, a philanthropy based in Wilmington, Delaware, has granted $1.8 million to CFF to expand services in Fall 2022 and deliver on a set of specific outcome metrics geared toward mother and child wellness. Longwood will grant an additional $1.2 million in early 2024 should CFF meet or surpass these metrics.
NCC has committed to supporting the expansion of CFF by reimbursing Longwood up to $3 million, allocated from American Rescue Plan Act funds, based on outcomes achieved through the close of the initiative in 2026. Longwood will reinvest a portion of these reimbursements in CFF, ultimately enabling the nonprofit to serve more New Castle County families, even beyond the lifespan of this initial project.
How It Works
Provides $1.8 million grant to CFF to expand services to 120 first-time, Medicaid-eligible mothers.
Children and Families First
Provides services using the Nurse-Family Partnership model.
Mothers and Children
Receive services between between 2022 and 2026.
Evaluates service delivery outcomes.
New Castle County, Delaware
Reimburses Longwood Foundation up to $3 million, based on outcomes.
Reinvests a portion of the reimbursements from NCC into CFF.
- New Castle County, Delaware is leading the project and is committed to making up to $3 million in outcomes payments.
- Children and Families First is providing services to first-time, Medicaid-eligible mothers.
- Longwood Foundation is granting $1.8 million to CFF to expand services and is committed to reinvesting a portion of the repayments from NCC into CFF.
- Social Finance is managing the project and evaluating the outcomes.
- Nurse-Family Partnership is supporting CFF during service delivery.
In the News
- “Meyer Announces Launch of New Outcomes-Based Initiative to Support First-Time Mothers,” New Castle County, Delaware
- Video: “New Castle County Executive Matt Meyer Announces Pay for Success Project,” New Castle County, Delaware
- “Innovative Funding Model to Help NCC Mothers,” Delaware Business Times
- “Delaware Pays For Nurses to Assist Low Income Mothers For Up to Two Years,” Scrubs Magazine
- “‘We’re In This Together’: Delaware Expands Initiative Pairing Nurses With New Moms,” WHYY