Register to Download
You will also receive email updates with publications and other updates from Social Finance. We will not share or sell your personal information.
Download All (8.09 MB)
On July 5th, 2016, the Social Finance global network launched its first white paper on the state of the Social Impact Bond/Pay for Success market. The paper looks back to the launch of the first Social Impact Bond in Peterborough in 2010 to chart the growth of this emerging global movement. Results from the early projects confirm the value of using this innovative financing mechanism to deliver better outcomes for vulnerable individuals.
Key highlights of the report:
- 60 PROJECTS LAUNCHED IN 15 COUNTRIES
- OVER $200M RAISED IN INVESTMENT
- 90,000 PEOPLE REACHED THROUGH THE PROGRAMS
- 22 PROJECTS HAVE REPORTED PERFORMANCE DATA
- 21 PROJECTS INDICATE POSITIVE SOCIAL OUTCOMES
- 12 PROJECTS HAVE MADE OUTCOME PAYMENTS, EITHER TO INVESTORS OR TO BE RECYCLED INTO SERVICE DELIVERY
- 4 PROJECTS HAVE COMPLETED AND FULLY REPAID INVESTOR CAPITAL
The paper takes a step back to reflect on where this market started and to assess the impact and reach that Social Impact Bonds have had across the globe. It discusses the shared lessons from the three Social Finance organizations in the United Kingdom, Israel, and the United States—which, together, represent the largest pool of Social Impact Bond expertise globally.
Alongside the paper, we launched the most comprehensive online database of Social Impact Bonds to date. The online directory can be sorted by country, issue area, investor, payor or service provider, giving a complete overview of live and proposed programs worldwide.
- Watch a video of Tracy Palandjian, David Hutchison, Yaron Neudorfer and Toby Eccles discussing the paper with Owen Barder here.
- Watch a short clip on the future of Social Impact Bonds.
- Watch a short clip on the value of adaptation in Social Impact Bonds.
At a time when Republicans and Democrats are focused on ideological differences to a paralyzing effect, we need to reorient our policymaking toward innovative ideas that create common ground. Social Impact Bonds rally uncommon allies across sector lines and political boundaries. It is a tool for building smarter, more effective governments.
A New Tool for Scaling Impact: How Social Impact Bonds Can Mobilize Private Capital to Advance Social Good
In September 2010, our sister organization, Social Finance, Ltd., launched the world’s first Social Impact Bond in the United Kingdom. Targeted at reducing prison recidivism, the Peterborough pilot generated world-wide interest in the potential of…
Foundations for Social Impact Bonds
How and Why Philanthropy Is Catalyzing the Development of a New Market: Social Finance assessed the role that philanthropy has played and will continue to play in developing the Pay for Success market in the US.
Financing Outcomes Through Social Impact Bonds
This chapter of What Matters: Investing in Results to Build Strong, Vibrant Communities was written by Social Finance CEO Tracy Palandjian.